First Two Quilts of 2020

Here it is the 8th of January, and I finished one quilt, and started another.

The Omaha Modern Quilt Guild held a contest in the summer of 2019, to design a quilt that fit the "all grey, with words" requirement.  I designed 3 different quilts, and submitted two of them.  And, surprise, one of my designs was picked as the winner. (First lesson learned - don't design more than one, or you have votes split between your designs which ultimately could have caused a loss!)

My price for winning: A gift certificate to a local fabric store, and the opportunity to project manage the actual creation of the quilt. Five of us got together and pieced the top together. We used the AccuQuilt fabric cutting system to quickly cut the even strips. Then my co-project manager Emilly did the quilting. Really made the strips (I mean "logs") pop!  As 2019 came to a close, and also during the first week of 2020, I was busy finishing the quilt. Which included my first opportunity to "face" a quilt. Instead of binding it in typical fashion, I used the facing technique that I found on line in a post featuring Robbi Joy Eklow.  (https://weallsew.com/make-quilt-facing/)  The picture is not the best - but I finished the top just minutes before walking out the door to deliver it to the Guild. I hung it on a curtain rod in a window, snapped the shot, and then dashed off to the meeting! 


My reward to myself was creating a Morning Star quilt using the new #AccuQuilt die. I loved working with this die, and am very proud of my points on this one.



 I am not as fond of  two of the fabric choices, as I don't think my inner circles of green nor blue are easy to see. (The yellow, orange, and purple circles do show.)  I had planned to use this quilt as my first entry into a competition, but while I love my finished project, I think the color choices would not fare well.  Oh, darn, I guess I will just have to make another Morning Star quilt.  (Yeah!!!  I already have one designed... LOL.)


Comments

Popular Posts