Dust off an Old Quilt Book


When Bea proposed this Blog Hop, I knew I had just the book.  The Romance of the American Quilt, with a copyright date of 1935, certainly qualifies as an old book! I rescued this book a while back, when it became too worn for the library to continue lending it out. But I loved the book, so it came home with me!

It's a book I treasure not only because of the detailed history that is almost a century old – but also because of a few quirky things that make me look at things from a new perspective.

For example, in the Forward, the second paragraph starts with the following sentence: "When the World War was over..."  I remember thinking “which world war, one or two?” Then it occurred to me that when this book was written there had only been “the war to end all wars” which would not become known as “World War One” for several more years.  

A second "ah ha" moment was when I realized the author had researched, documented, and created all the quilt blocks in the book. This would have been a daunting task back before the internet, easy travel, and database programs!  Section II is filled with photographs of existing quilts, some dating back to the mid-1800s. It's amazing to see what has changed, and what has stayed the same.

Another though-provoking item was when reading some blocks or techniques were noted as “modern”.  In 1935, they considered some things Modern.  Goodness!  I wonder in 100 years what people will think of our modern ideas!

I quickly fell in love with block 16 on page 82, the propeller. But when playing in EQ7 to decide my color scheme, I decided to replace the large corner HSTs with a smaller set and surround them with chisels. Once put together, on point, I think the finished quilt top looks like a bunch of Morning Glory flowers growing on a trellis.






Thanks to Bea for allowing me to participate in this Blog Hop.  Please visit all the participants, and subscribe to their blogs.  Also, visit Bea's site to register for the giveaways!




Comments

  1. WOW! that's fantastic and I think you got the oldest book! 1935!! Now I want to see more from that book!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is amazing. And she did a fantastic job cataloging the blocks. I have several more blocks marked with Post It notes, on my to do list!

      Delete
  2. What a fascinating book that must be! The quilt is lovely; really pretty photo in the sunlight - looks like stained glass!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks beautiful in the sunlight!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are right a lot of work must have gone into researching that book! No internet in those days! Your quilt turned out beautifully, it positively glows.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Love your quilt, and you're right. It does look like morning glories on a vine. It also looks like stain glass in that photo on the balcony. Thanks for sharing. I, too, am going to see if our library has that book so I can study it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! And it looks like that is a great book!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful and delicate book, looks like you won for the oldest book ;))

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic. Love it, great job. Thanks for hopping.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts